crest.jpg
300px-Danforth_Collegiate.JPG
photo.JPG
The history of cadets at Danforth Tech begins in 1940 with the school’s Army Cadet Corps., created as part of the school’s defence training program during World War II. The “Tech Tatler”, the Danforth Tech School Newspaper reported:

This year Danforth has the first cadet corps in its history. Under fully qualified instructors, several hundred boys have received expert militia training and at the same time, have given their support to the preparedness of Canada. As soon as the new wing was completed, a rifle range was constructed in the basement. Rifles were obtained and each cadet was initiated in the shooting routine.

September 1943, an application was submitted to the Air Cadet League of Canada (formed in 1940) for the cadet corps to become an Air Cadet Squadron, and on October 15, 1943, 330 Squadron was officially approved under the Commanding Officer Norman R. Speirs. The 1944 Tatler reported on the Air Cadets:

“They study the same course as an enlisted man in the R.C.A.F. takes at I.T.S. The Training is facilitated by the use and study of aeroplane motors, aircraft guns, signal equipment, in fact almost ev-erything found at an R.C.A.F, except the hangers. The intensive study covers Administration, Aircraft Recognition, Drill, Mathematics and Signals.”

During that first year the cadet squadron thrived with an average of 200 cadets and at one point became a wing. Many of these cadets joined other Danforth Tech students in enlisting to fight the war. By the end of WWII, Danforth Tech had sent 2,235 men and women overseas.

Over the years, the squadron has flourished, with Squadron Annual reports reflecting numerous special activities and glowing reports from the chairman of the Sponsoring Committee and Commanding Officers. A glance at the 1967 Annual Report reflects the works of the Squadron with 16 Special Activities including trips to Washington, Ottawa and Buffalo, parades, flying, familiarization, Scuba training, modelling contest and tagging.

According to cadets.ca, until the summer of 1975, due to federal legislation, females could not participate in cadets as “female cadets could never lawfully be trained, kitted, fed or transported and were not allowed to attend summer camp.” On the 30th of July, 1975, parliament amended the relevant legislation by changing the word boys to persons, therefore permitting girls to become members of all cadet groups, including 330 Squadron.

Currently, the squadron still seeks to develop good citizenship and leadership skills in young men and women, while encouraging personal growth and helping to build confidence. 330 Squadron has always been involved with both the school and the community. The squadron is involved with and supported by Todmorden Branch 10 of the Royal Canadian Legion and has been involved in numerous community service projects over the years.